In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

North Yarmouth Historical Society

Hayes Mill on the Royal River, North Yarmouth, 1892

Contributed by North Yarmouth Historical Society
MMN Item 30221 Item Details
Hayes Mill on the Royal River, North Yarmouth, 1892
MMN Item 30221 Zoom

Description

This 1892 view of the Hayes Mill on the Royal River off Mill Road is the earliest known photograph of a mill in North Yarmouth. The house on the right belonged to Sylvanus Porter who ran the mill for many years after his father Barbour helped build it in 1850. This tranquil scene with two rowers and the quiet sawmill which sat on the west bank may have been taken in July when mills were closed down so that farmers could hay their fields. Many townspeople recall swimming and fishing for eels in this millpond.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.